torbay & devon civic award
Torbay and Devon Civic Awards runs a program for year 6 students in over 15 primary schools from South Devon offering students the chance to to be presented with a certificate at a closing presentation evening at the end of the school year.
To achieve the recognition as a Torbay and Devon Civic Award achiever, students need to demonstrate the following5 key elements.
- Active Citizenship in their school community This could be Peer Mediation , Reading Buddies . School Council or other positions of trust and responsibility in school.
- Active Citizenship in their home communities . In the past, pupils have taken part in beach cleans, bulb planting, helping at Brownies /Cubs/sports clubs and looking after people in the community. Pupils may also work with others to organise events in school to support local charities.
- An active hobby(ies) and A non-active hobby (ies)Children should spend about 30 minutes on average a week on their hobbies and one of them needs to be new to the child from September 2009.
- Residential experience and adventure training. This entails sleeping away from home and taking part in outdoor challenges.
- Children also need to adopt a cause or charity which they feel strongly about. They need to research it and find ways of supporting it. (I added this area later after)